Thursday, October 10, 2013

The mystery of the commercial pattern

Your all ready to get going.  You have a style you want to create in mind, you walk into the fabric store and pick the perfect pattern to make yourself a gorgeous dress.  But what size am I in the pattern world?  When I shop at most places, I wear a size 8 or maybe a 10.  If I spend enough money, I can maybe even be a 6.  So I should be the same in patterns, right?  WRONG!!!






  I hate to announce this, but here goes-  My measurements ~ bust 39 waist 30 hip 39~  according to my New Look pattern, my size is somewhere between a 16 and an 18.  Next you need your fabric.  There is a guide on the back to let you know what type and how much you need.  I will usually pick up a little more than the pattern calls for.  If it says 2 5/8 yds  I'll pick up 3yds.

   So I buy my pattern, I bring it home and find all the pieces I need to cut.  I notice on the pattern piece there is another measurement.  This is the finished garment measurement with ease of wear included in it.  If I'm making a fitted or semi fitted garment, I may need 1" to 1 1\2" of ease, but this is more like 2 or more inches extra.  So The size I make will usually be a 14.  I hate to alter finished garments, so I make my adjustments on my pattern pieces where I can.  For me, it's usually back neck to waist and cup alterations.  I'll be showing you some of these type of pattern alterations in future blogs.  For now let's just get the patten size right!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment